Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One day at a time

Day 3 of sobriety

So i've used this blog for a lot of things. It's really helped me get over the Ex and get some things off my chest that are normally not polite to say in public. Not that I usually care but i'm trying. Now that i've got this sobriety issue to deal with, i've realized there is no better place to help me deal with this. I don't think I can do AA. I'm not an alcoholic. I just like to drink. I don't need it but I like the taste of a beer on a hot summer day. Or a cocktail when I go out with my girlfriends. (Ooh, let me stop because i'm getting kind of thirsty.) But I don't NEED alcohol.

Stopping though may be kind of hard though, especially because it's been such a part of my life for so long. But I will take one mantra from AA and say that it's just going to have to be one day at a time.

I was pretty proud of myself last night. My friends stopped by my house so Kammie could change clothes, and they were heading out for the night. I was invited along but I knew if I went I would want a beer so I sat my ass on the couch. I made dinner and did some Pilate's. I read some and then passed out. Yay me. Not every day is going to be like this but I figure I just need to focus my attention on other things. What better thing to focus on than getting my ass back in shape? Four months of being sick really made me soft again. And let's not forget the reason I was sick in the first place was pancreatitis so it all comes down to alcohol.

Take one road and you're fat, and sick and drunk. Take another and you're healthy and fit and sober. I think i'll take option number two. Wouldn't you?

5 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you and this new way of living and wish you the very best. Take that healthy road and never look back. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, time for some clarification and potentially a minor reality check.

    In your little blog description YOU describe yourself as a "recovering alcoholic".

    But, in your first paragraph her you say "I'm not an alcoholic. I just like to drink."

    You can't have it both ways. Really, it just doesn't work that way. Perhaps there are some addicts who can cut down to a moderate consumption, but that is so rare as to be a statistical anomaly.

    So, my internet pal, in the hope that you do achieve your goal, I think you really need to address this point. That first drink would be no different than picking up chatting with the Ex - not a smart move, and it can only end one way - badly.

    Trying to help. Call me an ass or whatever, but think about it. Change isn't easy, and this will be tough, but you can do it. Weaker people than you have beat this thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Option #2 sounds awesome! I am working on the healthy and fit part. Maybe you can help me stick to my exercise plan and changing my eating habits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jud I guess I stand corrected. But let me clarify this... I guess some people would consider me an alcoholic at one time. And I guess I would too and that's why I say recovering alcoholic. But I don't see myself that way and maybe I you're right and I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, ML, I am cheering for you and am here to offer you encouragement and support. I know you can beat this thing, by turning down one drink at a time, one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete