Thursday, March 5, 2009

Having a NON blessed day

This is going to sound really fricking weird but I don't care. I absolutely HATE it when people tell me to "have a blessed day."

When I was younger, Gram decided that we were all going to become Jehovah's Witnesses. Yippee! My parents, even though they did not have custody, made sure that we still got to celebrate holidays and our birthdays, because they felt that rule was taking the whole fanatic thing a little too far. So we were fake Jehovah's Witnesses.

Yeah, I was a cool kid.

Older brother eventually put his foot down and told Gram we weren't going anymore. I mean, it wasn't like we ever showed an interest in it anyway. I mean, how could we? We were kids, and the services lasted 3 hours or more where you had to sit still and listen. Every. Single. Service.

I used these unbelievably boring mornings to catch up on some sleep. Too bad I snored when I was younger. (and no, I don't snore now) Not surprising that I got a lot of glares from the other members. Good times.

But I thank goodness this is America and we have the freedom of religion. My experience with the Jehovah's Witnesses has made me exercise that right to NOT be a religious person. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that there may be something out there that created man, and life and whatever. But I don't know what it is and I definitely do not believe that 144,000 people out of the whole world are going to be saved on Judgement day, and only 144,000. Hmm. Crazy if you ask me.

For people that are religious though, I got nothing against you. Except when you tell me to "Have a blessed day."

I feel like answering, "no thank you."

3 comments:

  1. Have a blessed day!

    Oh come on... I had too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I found you from Jud's blog at Beyond the Pale.

    I graduated from UW and am 10 years older than you. (Grew up and still live in Wisconsin--up north.)

    Anyway, just checked out your blog. It brings me back to that time. Personally, I'm glad I'm done with that time in my own life, but do enjoy 24. Ten years goes by fast.

    Anyway, cheers & good luck with everything. I can relate to a lot of your feelings from the rear-view-mirror. Red Shed still fun?? I remember the Long Islands.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend who used to say that at the end of her voicemail.

    We're no longer speaking.

    ReplyDelete