Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Monogamy or Myth?

Alright, I know this is two posts today but I was just looking through this site and had to say something about it. We were watching Current TV last night and they had a snippet about this site: www.exboyfriendjewelry.com.

This girl and her mom decided to put it up when she couldn't figure out what to do with all the jewelry her ex-husband had given her. You can buy and sell stuff that was given to you by an ex, and you can even post a little message about why you want to sell it.

So I just checked it out. This is not good. Like I really need more fuel for my already growing cynical views about relationships. One woman wrote how her husband was going back and forth on business trips and she found out that he had a wife and a whole family in a different city. And all of the women posting don't just say that, "oh, things just didn't work out." Every. Single. One. I read states that the man cheated.

Ahhhh!! Why? Is it so impossible to have a fricking relationship with another human being and not sleep around? Am I naive in thinking that this is the way relationships should be? What is the point in being with someone and putting all that time and effort into getting to know them, and moving in with them, and meeting their family, if you're just going to be a sleaze and cheat around behind their backs? Some of these men should be ashamed of themselves.

And don't get me wrong. I know women do this too. I'm not saying they don't. But more often than not, it's the man that cheats.

My therapist says that I've never been exposed to any healthy relationships and so I have no idea that they exist, but that that's what I'm searching for most of all. Really? I could have told her that. I really don't need to pay her to tell me what I already know.

What I will pay her to tell me is, how do you stay optimistic that monogamy is possible when everything around you says different?

No comments:

Post a Comment