Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chivarlry is Dead

Whatever happened to dating? Seriously! I grew up in an age where going on dates was more of a group thing. Guys didn't ask girls out on dates in my high school. Instead, we'd all go hang out together. And then we'd break off into smaller groups and then eventually start "going out" with whoever we started going out with. This was always fine for me in high school.

Now that I'm 24 and I've pretty much either dated all the guys I know, or decided the rest of them are definitely NOT dating material, and have placed them in the "friend box" I find myself wondering, so who to date now?

Every time we go out, its always in a group, again like high school, and unless I'm feeling adventurous, I don't even bother scoping the men out at the bar. Hey, I'm with my girls, and most of the time, they are more fun than any man anyways.

But whatever happened to this thing called dating? When i think about living in the 50s where everything is slow and we don't have computers, i cringe, except for that old fashioned tradition where the guy picks you up and you go on a date, just you two, getting to know each other. No one I know does that. Ever.

Lemon (obviously not his real name) is a guy that used to date a friend of mine for a few months a couple of years ago. I haven't seen him in years, and we ran into each other at a party a few weeks ago, and have been texting back and forth ever since. #1, its weird because he dated my friend, but when i tell him this, he of course shrugs it off. (She wouldn't care, by the way, but things like that always make me feel uncomfortable.)
But #2, I have never given him even the slightest hope that I'm interested in him like that, (I'm not ready yet) but he's already sending me flirty emails, and jumping right to, "come over and hang out and cuddle"

Cuddle!!! What!!! We haven't even gone on a date. I'm not going to come over and cuddle with you. You must be trippin!! LOl. But seriously!! The audacity of some men is amazing. I love forward guys, don't get me wrong, but to just assume I'm going to come over and get "cuddly" with you when we haven't gone on a date or anything else yet is taking it a little too far.

I'm not an old fashioned girl at all. But whenever I find myself thinking about how things have changed, it really makes me wish I was born in a different time. Or that chivalry wasn't dead.

2 comments:

  1. Lol. "You must be trippin!!" You go girl!

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wondering the same thing. I am ready, I want to go on a date. But there's nobody to date? Where are all the men? What happened to dating!

    ReplyDelete